segunda-feira, março 05, 2007

627. PJ Harvey - uh huh her


When this came out it was easily one of my least fave PJ records... I was hoping for something that followed more in the foot path that "Storie from..." had started - but as you know PJ rarely repeats herself. "Uh huh her" is loud, abrasive, unpolished - the drums are floating along with the songs, never anchoring them. Her vocals are growling, high and annoyingly straight forward. The tracks feel as if they were recorded in one take - she plays everything with the exception of the drums. Even the cover photo is set up as if she took it herself. Having spent more time with the album I realize that I was too quick to judge - it's filled with great, intricate moments, and some very simple, powerful ones too... needless to say I've grown quite fond of it.

8 out of 10