terça-feira, julho 05, 2005

337. The Promise Ring - wood/water

337.PRwood:water
337.PRwood:water,
originally uploaded by jrd550.
Wait where's the snap, crackle and guitar pop? It's there still but just a little lower. I was recently talking with a friend how at one point, all of a sudden, it seemed like emo bands were desperately trying to re invent themselves (these guys, Get Up Kids, even the local West Palm emo band, Legends of Rodeo). Maybe it was a natural musical progression bands make or a response to copy cat acts like Taking Back Sunday (or whatever they are called). Here the band drops J Robbins in favour of Mario Caldato Jr. (didn't he do Beasties stuff or am I confused) and Stephen Street (blur and smiths). This is a great, quiet album - a perfect send off I think. I understand why some fans were upset, longing for the usual unique lispy power pop the band normally makes. I suppose, for once, this would have been a good argument for a band releasing a double album - this plus a more approachable disc.

"She looks like heaven I feel like the devil
In my Sunday whites"

8 out of 10

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anônimo said...

ahh, you're so spot on (of course). and i'm glad you've gotten to the good stuff! ;)

7:19 AM  

Postar um comentário

<< Home