quarta-feira, abril 27, 2005

286. The Strokes - is this it

286.TSisthisit?
286.TSisthisit?,
originally uploaded by jrd550.
I resisted the strokes for a long time. For two reasons: Last Night isn't that great of a song - it's actually average - nothing new or revealing. The second is that I can't really stand hipsters; all skinny legged with the same hair do's, smelling like shit when you are at Other Music, completely unaware their long dirty scarf is draped over the section of cds you are looking at. But I was at Bleeker Street records and Dena, always, wait, sometimes sound, said "If you're ever going to buy a Strokes CD it might as well be used with the European cover art". Finally someone who thinks the way I do. So I picked it up and I wasn't thrilled. The staticky/megaphone vocals annoy me and the band's sound seems to honour an era or sound instead of building upon it. I truly was left saying "is this it?".

5.5 out of 10