terça-feira, fevereiro 22, 2005

214. Nine Inch Nails - the downward spiral

214.NINthedownwardspiral
214.NINthedownwardspiral,
originally uploaded by jrd550.
I remember hearing 'closer' at Respectables in West Palm Beach. I had had the album for a while already, had seen the video that was edited by MTV, but it wasn't until I was at the club, slightly drunk, that I fully understood that song (or at least thought I understood it). It brilliantly piles up into a sonic fuck of sorts, to only bring you back down like every good climax does. The balance of the album explores similar territory, trying to do more than the typical loud, quiet, loud structure that so many bands employ. It definitely helped define a genre to the mainstream, and created the first industrial concept album, at least to the best of my knowledge (although I am sure Skinny Puppy must have done something along those lines at some point).

8.5 out of 10